Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Please Keep Me in Mind

Moz Art

I realize it has been several weeks since I last wrote. If I had the opportunity to take pictures of what I do all day everyday, every week in my real life, I think you would be exceedingly bored but at the same time, astounded. In that realization, you would forgive me for not having the time to write more frequently.
 
 
I promised to write about the Johnny Marr gig at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas last time, and I shall. Just remember it has been over a month since the show. Bear in mind, that it was also a New Order headlining concert and remember that I had met Johnny Marr just hours before the performance. I was as high as a kite in a purely joyous sense.
 
Roland and I are not really big New Order fans. If this seems sacrilegious to you, then you need not read any further. Being a teen music fan of the 80s and 90s, I listened to New Order and I truly enjoyed it. But it just played. I couldn't really tell you the names of any particular songs. I would know them if I heard them. but it just played in the background when I wasn't listening to The Smiths or Morrissey. It may seem unbelievable but its true.

So, we enjoyed Johnny Marr of course. Roland, being a sound man, felt that the sound wasn't so great but stated that it was most likely due to the fact that Johnny was the support act.

I nearly punched a man when Johnny came on and the man said loudly, "What the hell is THIS?" referring to Johnny. Wow. I was speechless. I was.

I took as many pictures as I could having snuck in my digital SLR again. Most of the photos were from far away. I tried to get closer to the stage but a security guy saw me and was ready to leap over people to destroy me and my camera, at least that's what his body language and eyes said to me.

In any event, the photo I took from so far away was one of the ten winners in the Johnny Marr tour photo contest on Facebook. I won a vinyl LP and a rockin' poster of his new album The Messenger.

He played twelve songs:

1. The Right Thing Right
2. Stop Me if You've Heard This One Before
3. Upstarts
4. Sun & Moon
5. There is a Light That Never Goes Out
6. The Messenger
7. Lockdown
8. Generate! Generate!
9. New Town Velocity
10. I Fought the Law
11. Getting Away With It
12. How Soon Is Now?

My favorite Smiths cover was How Soon Is Now?. My favorite new song is New Town Velocity. It was a great set. The excitement was real. It wasn't like seeing Morrissey, but I didn't expect it to be like that anyway.

Another highlight was meeting Jose Maldonado of The Sweet and Tender Hooligans-a tribute band. He hosts the radio show Breakfast with the Smiths on Indie 103.com. Its just because I have conversed with him via social media and it was special to meet him briefly at the show.

I don't like how I look in the picture-the four mile ride shows in my hair-but what the hell? It got Jose in it!

Tonight is Morrissey's birthday and Roland and I are off to see Sweet and Tender Hooligans in Hollywood tonight.

I still have to write about Moz Art but I think that can be done in pictures. Also, I want to write about the Smiths/Morrissey Convention. Again, these will mostly be pictures-and many of my friends have already seen them, but ah well.

One of my students wrote Morrissey's name on my arm with a fountain pen, but I can't get the pic to go the right way round.



 
 
 
 


 

 

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you still writing.
    Rat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andrea, I'm very happy for you and your husband enjoying good music! Strech my name on my arm with a fountain pen... Ciao!

    ReplyDelete